Well, lately the TDF Wiki Admins luckily hadn’t much to do, but well I still do want to provide some statistics as the results are very impressive.
Our activated “abuse filter” has caught 2214 edits in the the time from 26 March 2018 to 12 June 2018 (so within 78 days) done by 1244 users. Be careful in interpreting the data as after many weeks the spammer detected the problem and tried to hit enter multiple times but with a new session (so all the accounts do not get blocked, part 2 of the rule was never hit except one false positive and by one of my test accounts!).
For a very short test in the night this filter seems very successful at the moment at least for my nerves for the last 3 months. Finger crossed that this stays so in our wiki (and of course all other platforms we provide – if they have spam problems, I do not know, except nabble)!
Some manually work still include 9 classical spammers (so it seems somebody other) who tried to post something in the “main space” / “article space” which we need to block and delete manually, but in 78 days this were only 9 times!!! That’s admin work as I love it: concentrate on the content, not fighting spam!
To mention: another abuse filter which hits much more the false positive, but is alive since ages has protected us from another 5 edits by 4 users from spam. This is ok, as the warning was reworked to make it more clearly what we do want and that most regular users also got excluded finally…
archive.org has a great web archive – containing many archived revisions of all web pages. You might even know that – if not, try it out! Even sites are archived which are offline since ages! Archive.org works since 1998(!) – shortly after the beginning of the internet itself!
Why do I write this blog post? What does this have to do with LibreOffice?
It’s rather easy: eskiwiki and trwiki (which I do try to integrate into tdfwiki) do both based on a not maintained server where nobody has access. There is a great tool and initiative out there called wikiteam, who does try to archive and make dumps of wikis accessible (not only mediawiki).
I do know that there are requests to get content of the “wiki Pardus” (the offline wiki of the Linux distribution Pardus) and what a luck there is a backup of the Pardus wiki in their archives.
So again: If you know a great resource (even offline) for help pages, FAQ pages, tutorials, wikis, etc. pp. then ask us.
There are many old – often read-only – resources out there. Sometimes still based for OpenOffice.org and thus heavily outdated. Many creators and administrators of these sites are either no longer active (in neither LibreOffice nor OpenOffice communities) and many of these resources have been made read-only for some reasons.
Original I got the request from the German community to recreate somehow the content of the old http://www.ooowiki.de back to live. The doing is on my To-Do-List since ages, and it will happen at some time. First I do want to test some easier conversation of a straight on two Turkish wikis: Eskiwiki (“old wiki”) and TRWIKI. Both are based on MediaWiki and can be merged first within in itself (so the real content without spam goes from Eskiwiki to TRWIKI). After the first migration a rather short test-migration should happen to the test instance of the TDFwiki. Hopefully everybody involved will give ones go to move than to the live-TDFwiki. Of course we will try to preserve working links and contributions (who made the edits) as much as possible / the license allows. All these tasks are not always easy nor clear, e.g. do we can preserve the links without any breakage; or can we preserve the attribution of the edits or map these to the correct account.
All in all these involves many steps even in such relative easy example as the TRWIKI; but getting to pages like the read-only “only in HTML format” OOoWiki requires some more steps. OOowiki original based on MoinMoin-Wiki and the generated HTML was optimized and simplified. So this is not a simply straight forward like in the two Turkish wikis which simply need to export the XML content (of all relevant revisions) and import this into another MediaWiki instance. But with a few additional steps (and maybe a little bit manually work) we also get the old OOoWiki editable again and with a bit luck the German community can bring the content up to date.
For any language community – if you have somewhere resources (even not under your control) and you want to get them under somehow control of the TDF (and I’m not only talk about wikis!) ask the infra team and me. Very likely we can find a solution to get the stuff working.
Since a few months I’m also an administrator of our Nabble archives. I started to check the posts and removing spam and banning the spammer. Slowly I get one archive cleaned after another.
From time to time I realize that the interface is missing some bits, so I change the interface in the Nabble’s “NAML macro language”. I added access keys to places where I think it is useful or where I use it on my own.
This weekend I had my fight with the NAML to get web feeds placed to the html head-tag for a few hours as their macro language is not documented and not really intuitive. 😦
If you have any improvement requests, simply drop me a line. 😉